We think this might be the earliest photo of Roystonhill and the Spire – zoomed-in from an image of Glasgow Cathedral in 1893… 127 years ago!
Do you know of any earlier pictures?
Back then there was the Monkland Canal where the M8 motorway now runs, and the houses to the left of the spire may be Earlston Avenue, which was demolished in the 1960s.
A wee bit about the spire:
Roystonhill Spire is the only remaining part of Townhead-Blochairn Parish Church built in 1865-66 on Roystonhill (then known as Garngad Hill).
Designed by architects Campbell Douglas and Stevenson in the Gothic style, the church featured stained-glass windows by the world-famous William Morris company, interior design and glass by Glasgow artist Daniel Cottier and sculptures by John Mossman.
In 1997 a group of local people got together and managed to save the historically-important landmark spire after the church was sadly demolished. Some of the windows were preserved in the Burrell Collection. Since 2005, Rosemount Development Trust have maintained the Spire and have recently had eco-efficient lighting installed. Landscape and environmental improvements to the Spire Park were made with funding from WREN FCC Scottish Action Fund and working in partnership with Spire View Housing Association who have opened their new Roystonhill Community Hub and a new Hub on the Hill Cafe.
Soon there will also be history information and 12 mosaics sited permanently in Roystonhill Spire Park. The Spire Park public art and heritage project is funded by National Lottery Heritage Fund Scotland and Rosemount Workspace Ltd.