On this day in 1866… 154 years ago, the church on Roystonhill was opened.
Here’s a sneak preview of the history of Townhead Church from the forthcoming information boards commissioned by Rosemount Development Trust (and funded by National Lottery Heritage Fund Scotland and Rosemount Workspace) which will be sited in the Spire Park.
A wee bit about the spire:
Roystonhill Spire is the only remaining part of Townhead-Blochairn Parish Church, built in 1865-66 on Roystonhill (then known as Garngad Hill).
Designed by architects Campbell Douglas and Stevenson in the Gothic style, the church featured stained-glass windows by the world-famous William Morris company, interior design and glass by Glasgow artist Daniel Cottier and sculptures by John Mossman.
In 1997 a group of local people got together and managed to save the historically important landmark spire after the church was sadly demolished. Some of the windows were preserved in the Burrell Collection. Since 2005, Rosemount Development Trust have maintained the Spire and had eco-efficient lighting installed. Landscape and environmental improvements to the Spire Park were made with funding from WREN FCC Scottish Action Fund and working in partnership with Spire View Housing Association, who opened their new
Roystonhill Community Hub.
In addition to historical information, 12 mosaics will be sited permanently in Roystonhill Spire Park. The Spire Park public art and heritage project is funded by National Lottery Heritage Fund Scotland and Rosemount Workspace Ltd. https://www.rosemountbusinesspark.co.uk/