Year: 2020

The Spire

A beacon which can be seen across the city Roystonhill Spire was originally part of Townhead Parish Church built in 1865 – 66 by the architect J.J. Stevenson of Campbell Douglas and Stevenson. What remains of Townhead Church now forms the north boundary of the Spire Park. Its doorways, within gothic arches, provide access and …

The Spire Read More »

Townhead-Blochairn Parish Church

The artists and craftspeople who created a jewel on the hill Roystonhill Spire Park outlines the footprint of Townhead-Blochairn Parish Church which stood on this site from 1865 until 1997. Daniel Cottier The church was richly decorated by a young Glaswegian artist Daniel Cottier. The full painted-scheme in Townhead one of his earliest works, featured stencilled …

Townhead-Blochairn Parish Church Read More »

Roystonhill Spire Park

The history of a landmark building and the park project inspired by it Roystonhill Spire is the only remaining part of Townhead-Blochairn Parish Church Townhead Church was built thanks to a legacy from the prosperous iron workers, Bairds of Gartsherrie, who employed thousands at their Coatbridge foundry. James Baird of Knoydart built the church with …

Roystonhill Spire Park Read More »